Last week a potential collaborator flew from Denmark for an all-day meeting at our office in Amsterdam. Lunchtime raised the topic of the Dutch tradition of broodjes, simple sandwiches, and how they compared with Danish smorrebrod. A Scandinavian colleague informed me that he believed smorrebrod would be the next global delicacy, along the lines of sushi.
Following this conversation, I was delighted to see an article about ‘butter bread’ on NPR. It reminds me a lot of the German tradition of bread with toppings that Marcus introduced me to, which we have dubbed ‘cheese bread’. We start with a hearty bread, toasted then buttered, and apply a mixture of ingredients, some favorites being goat cheese, mushroom and dill; brie and jam or sliced avocado and red pesto.
Photo by Lynda Balslev
Cute music video by Josh Smith for Avalanche City. Let this day be not without love.
Weekend Links is a collection of the interesting bits and pieces that I’ve come across on the streets and online. The weekly post is my chance to share with you a few things from the week, in a list compiled during the weekend. I hope you enjoy them as well.
A few things I enjoyed this week:
1. Seeing over 40,000 photographs over the course of the last week
2. Interviewing photojournalist David Burnett, Geo director of photography Ruth Eichhorn, critic for The New Yorker Vince Aletti and photographer Heinz Kluetmeier http://bit.ly/fs55tx (image above of the studio)
3. Listening to Adele’s new album 21 on NPR. Just beautiful.
4. Remembering the Oregon fog in images (pictured below, via for me, for you)
5. Reading about the wonder of winter and enjoying the final moments of the season
6. Listening to the new album by Avalanche City (via home.town.treasure)